Director of Engineering
At Unchained Capital, our mission is to help bitcoin holders achieve unprecedented financial freedom and control. Unchained products include originating loans backed by bitcoin, providing multi-signature vaults utilizing collaborative custody, and buying bitcoin directly to vaults with keys that you control. We are looking for a Director of Engineering to grow and manage our already strong engineering team.
Because Unchained Capital is dedicated to helping individuals and businesses hold their own bitcoin private keys, a lot of what we’re building is novel. Candidates with prior experience in bitcoin and especially multisig bitcoin custody are preferred but this is not a requirement. As the Director of Engineering, we’re looking first and foremost for your demonstrated ability to manage & grow a high-functioning engineering team predictably delivering quality software and services.
The right candidate is an experienced yet hands-on manager who can hire great engineers, estimate project timelines, get the best out of their teammates, understand our data model, review code, contribute to architecture discussions, mentor other engineers, and be a product stakeholder. You’ll be starting from a strong foundation but, since we’re still a small team, you’ll have the opportunity to define and shape the processes and culture of our entire organization.
You can expect in your first year:
- First Month: Get onboarded and learn about our current roadmap and plans. You’ll immediately take a leadership role in our recruiting while you get comfortable with our product, codebase, and release process.
- Next 3 Months: You’ll begin to partner with product management in augmenting our roadmap based on your advocacy for engineering needs.
- Next 8 Months: You’ll be firmly cemented as part of our leadership team. Your fingerprints will be all over the organization from who is working at Unchained, to how we ship software. Your expertise will be valuable in conversations with customers and to a broader technical bitcoin audience.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Hire engineers. You’ll collaborate with other executives and team leads to make strategic & hiring decisions but you’ll run the engineering recruiting & hiring process. You’ll be expected to plan headcounts, write job descriptions, conduct interviews, and negotiate offers. You’ll have to help the team find our balance between getting work done and growing the team.
- Ensure delivery. You are responsible for ensuring our engineering team delivers the product roadmap on time and to spec. You’ll need to be good at estimating project timeline & staffing requirements while balancing the need for speed to market and secure, high-quality product. Be comfortable negotiating tradeoffs between scope & timeline.
- Ship software. You’ll be the primary owner of our release process. It will be your responsibility to define the content of sprints and releases. You’ll ensure that pull requests are merged and deployed only after proper code review and testing. Sometimes you’ll have to review or test code yourself; other times you’ll need to identify and manage the right engineers to do so. You’ll want to identify Inefficiencies and/or bottlenecks in our release process to help us move faster without sacrificing quality.
- Be a product stakeholder. Your roles & responsibilities on the engineering team make you an excellent source of product feedback. Resolving technical debt, refactoring internal processes, or researching new technologies are all critical to our success but, because of their indirect business impact, it’s only through advocacy from an engineering stakeholder that these projects get added to our roadmap.
WHAT WE WANT TO SEE
- Passion for building a bitcoin product
- Minimum of 4 years experience building & managing an engineering team
- Great communication skills that show us you can drive consensus between engineers, product managers, and business stakeholders
- Understanding of different product development and engineering methodologies and best practices
- Familiarity with our technology stack (Python, React, Postgres, AWS, bitcoin)
Your application has been successfully submitted.
The first Bitcoin native financial services company offering collaborative multisig vaults, loans, and buy bitcoin OTC. Not your keys, not your coins.